Before you can add your StartMail account to your email client, you must first enable IMAP access in the StartMail settings.
Follow this link to enable IMAP access in StartMail before returning to the steps below.
Please open Mozilla Thunderbird (version 52.6.0 was used to create this document), and follow these steps:
- Open Mozilla Thunderbird and click on Tools followed by Account Settings.
- Open the Account Actions dropdown list and select Add Mail Account.
- Please fill out the following fields:
- Your name: enter your StartMail emailaddress
- Email address: enter your StartMail address again
- Password: Enter the password given in the "Add device password" popup (note: this is not the same password you use to enter your StartMail email account).
Click Continue to go to the next screen.
- Please check your info, and click Done.
- Your StartMail account has now been added. Click OK.
- Click Inbox to see all of your StartMail messages.
- If you have been unsuccessful, take a moment to recheck all the information you entered, especially information found in the Add device popup that was generated when you first enabled IMAP access. Follow this link for some common troubleshooting tips for setting up StartMail with your email client
- To be able to use encryption with your Thunderbird client, please follow the instructions given in this Support Center article.
- Previously, users with IMAP connections had a two letter prefix in the "Server hostname" fields of older Thunderbird versions. While those configurations will work, the two-letter prefix is no longer needed