In the event you lose your StartMail password, StartMail currently offers two methods of password recovery. You can either set up a Recovery Email Address, or generate a Recovery Code.
This Support Center article will provide more information on how to generate a Recovery code. For instructions on setting up a Recovery email address, refer to this Support Center article. Please note that the recovery code will be invalid from the moment a recovery address is entered, even if it´s not already confirmed!
There are two situations in which a recovery code can be generated; 1) when you create your StartMail account, and 2) after you have set up an email address, and wish to replace it with a recovery code.
1. Generating a recovery code when you create your new StartMail account.
- After creating your account, you will see a "Congratulations!" screen. In Step 2 of this screen (pictured below) you will have the option to enter a Recovery email address. If you choose to use the Recovery Code method instead, leave this field blank, and click the Next: the last step > button.
- Upon completion of the setup process, click the green Save and Start using StartMail button and the following screen will appear with your recovery code.
- Be sure to save your Recovery code in a safe place! You will only be shown this code once, and this will be your only method of password recovery.
2. Generating a recovery code after you have set up a Recovery Email Address
The second instance where you can generate a Recovery Code is when you have previously set up a Recovery Email address, and decide to remove it later in favor of using a Recovery Code instead. To do so, follow the steps outlined below:
- From a Web browser, log into your StartMail account at https://startmail.com/login.
- Click Settings which is located on the top right corner of your StartMail page.
- Select Account.
- Select the green Change button next to your existing Recovery Address.
- Delete your existing Recovery Address, enter your StartMail password in the Account Password field and click the Change button.
- You will be shown your Recovery Code. Please save this code in a safe place, as it will only be shown to you once and will be your only method of password recovery.