To ensure the PGP keys we generate adhere to the latest and best security standards, our PGP keys have a validity duration of five years. This means that every five years, you need to renew this key. This article provides instructions on how to do this.
In order to renew your PGP key:
1. Login to your account at Startmail.com
2. In the top menu, go to Settings
3. In the left menu, go to Mail encryption
4. At the bottom of the page, there's an option to click on Generate new key.
5. Click first on the button to Disable key, this will disable your current key. You'll need to enter your password to confirm this action.
6. After that is done, you'll be redirected to the page where you can generate a new key. Enter your current or a new PGP password and click on Generate public key.
7. You're done!
Your old key will be disabled, however you can still decrypt existing and older messages with the previous key. If any of your recipients use external email clients and have manually imported your key it's good practice to send your new public key to them.
If you have any questions about this process please reach out to support at email@example.com or fill out the support form.