StartMail uses the following types of cookies:
- Session cookies
- Functional cookies
- Persistent cookies
Session Cookies are sent to the browser on first request and on authentication changes. They are important to be able to offer the StartMail webmail service.
Functional cookies are required for specific parts of the webmail application, e.g. to securely cache the user’s PGP key passphrase.
Sessional and functional Cookies can be found in your webmail.
A persistent cookie is set to help determine the effectiveness of marketing campaigns on our homepage. For that Matomo sets a persistent cookie called "_pk_id" to identify return visitors. Matomo is a privacy-friendly alternative to Google Analytics. We self-host Matomo to make it even more private.
StartMail uses these cookies for the following purposes:
- To be able to stay logged in to the StartMail service for a set period of time.
- To save settings such as your language preferences.
- To prevent the 'unsupported browser' window from appearing again after you have closed it.
- To evaluate the effectiveness of our marketing efforts aimed at attracting new StartMail customers.
- To track our sales process. Please note that we honor the DNT (Do Not Track) header from your web browser. If you have the DNT header enabled, this does not apply to you.
In absolutely no way will we use tracking cookies to serve ads to our users.