When you send/receive an encrypted email to or from another StartMail user, the public key exchange will happen automatically.
If you want to receive a PGP-encrypted email from someone who does not use StartMail, you will need to send your public key first.
If you want to send a PGP-encrypted email to someone who does not use StartMail, you will need their public key: ask that they send their public key as an attachment. The key can then be saved directly from the email as an .asc file and imported by following the steps below.
Send your key
- When composing a message, click on the Attach public key. This will attach your public key on the message
Send your key by default
- In your StartMail inbox, click on Settings
- In the menu on the left side, click on Encryption settings
- Click on the toggle button under Attach my public key by default
- The button is now green, indicating that your public key will be attached to all outgoing mail by default.
- Go to Settings.
- Select PGP Keyring from the left menu.
- Select Import key
- Upload your key by either dragging a .asc file on the window, or pasting the public key data in the text field. When pasting manually, make sure the key starts with: -----BEGIN PGP KEY BLOCK------ and ends with ----END PGP KEY BLOCK-----
When done, click Import key.