Change is hard! But changing your email address doesn’t have to be. Here’s what we recommend you do to transition from your old email to your new StartMail account:
- Update your contact information on websites that have your old email address. For example, if your bills are emailed to you, log in to your biller's website and change your contact information to reflect your new email address. You may wish to use our aliases for that purpose.
- Send an email to all the contacts in your address book to notify them of your new email address.
- Import your address book into your StartMail contacts.
- The easiest way to export messages from your current email account to StartMail, is to use IMAP and an email client or use our ShuttleCloud service. To learn how to do this with your email client, please follow the instructions below.
How do I export emails from an account to StartMail?
The easiest way to transfer messages from one account to another (such as StartMail) is through IMAP and email clients such as Thunderbird, Outlook, Mac Mail, etc, but you can also use our ShuttleCloud service. To migrate the emails via your client, please follow the instructions:
- Open one of the listed email clients.
- Create an IMAP connection for your StartMail account and set up your StartMail account in your mail client. Instructions on how to do so can be found here.
- In order to copy your messages from your other email address, you must have your other email address set up in the email client as well. If this is another StartMail address you can follow the same instructions. Alternatively, if this is a non StartMail address, please ask the email provider for further instructions. Instructions for some of the most common email providers can be found below.
- When you have both email addresses set up in your mail client, copy all messages by bulk selecting the messages you want to export, then right click and select Move to, select a folder in the StartMail email address you want to move the messages to.