To compose and send an email, please follow the instructions below:
1. Click on the blue "Compose" button - (Zoomed out view - shows titles next to icons)
OR: Click on the blue Compose icon - (Zoomed in view)
2. To send an email, add at least one recipient in the 'To' field
Type in the first 3 letters of the desired email address if the contact is already in your Contact list. (See Settings>Contacts)
- Startmail will automatically fill in the address
- Click on the full email address to add it to the 'To' field
If the recipient has not yet been added to your Contact list, type the address in the field. (Separate email addresses with commas)
2a. Once the email address has been added and is grayed out, you can click on it to add it to your Contacts.
2b. You may also create an alias as you are composing an email.
Please click this link for more details: Aliases
3. For Cc (Carbon copy) / Bcc (Blind carbon copy):
- Click on Cc/Bcc to the right of the 'To' field to display the Cc and the Bcc fields
- Enter recipient email addresses with the first 3 letters as in #2 above, or type in a new address.
(The Recipients List is for deleting or adding email addresses that come from emails sent by you or to you). Click this article link for more information: Recipients List
4. You may also want to send an email to a Contact Group. See the link: Contact Groups
5. You may enter a Subject in the Subject field, although this is not required. (Subject lines are not able to be encrypted when sent over the Internet).
6. While composing your email, a Draft of your email will be saved every few seconds - See Last saved message with the saved time.
7. To send an email with a PGP signature and/or to Encrypt an email using PGP or PPM encryption, see the links below.
Getting Started with Email encryption
Encrypting and Decrypting messages
8. The Compose toolbar has many options. From left to right, they are: Bold, Italic, Underline; the Black Box dropdown has text color options; under Tahoma are several Font styles; Tt is Font size; Text Alignment options; Numbering and Bullet point options; Emoji options; the Double Circles are for URL links; the Photo attachment icon; the Attachment icon (paper clip icon) attaches a FILE or your PGP Public Key; the Trash icon discards your draft.
Click on the Font Style and Attachment links for details: Attachments Font Style
9. When finished composing your email, click the Send button.
10. You will see your Sent email in the Sent folder.
11. If you receive a bounce back or undeliverable message that an email was not Sent, please check your intended recipient's email address to verify it is spelled correctly.
Send a copy of the bounce back message to Support if you need further help.